Pages

Caution

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shal have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitue for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog in reference to essential oils and herbs have not been evaluated by the FDA.

Monday, October 4, 2010

What's for dinner at your house?

Just wanted to share with you a fantastic find...  I stumbled upon this at the flylady website,  it is a book called Saving Dinner by Leanne Ely, she also has a website, but the book is what I wanted to share.  It is fantastic.  I went to the grocery store and purchased all my food for the week (this means cooking a meal every night but one, so if you don't do this, it would be less expensive just choose your meals)  but I purchased everything on the shopping list (yes she gives you a complete shopping list)  I also purchased  a few breakfast items, some lunch items, and of course a few treats all not on the menu.  Total was $130, which for me isn't too bad, in addition to I didn't use any coupons... for those of you who coupon it is probably much less expensive.  But here is the recipe from tonights menu



Apple Chicken
1 1/4 tsp vegetable oil
6 boneless, skinless chicken breat halves, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 granny smith apples, cored and sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
3/4 C dry white wine
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet.  Add chicken and brown on all sides.  Add apple slices, saute 3 minutes, stiring occasionally.  Add 1/2 the wine and chicken broth, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.  Mix remaining wine and broth together with remaining ingredients; add to skillet.  Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until sauce thickens.

Serve with baked potatoes and steamed broccoli.

Prep time was about 20-30 min. give or take.  But it was great, I felt like we were eating healthy, and we did sit down as a family to eat.  This book has 8 weeks for each season (so you are buying ingredients that are in season) Then in the back has some easy side dishes (should you need them, but probably not often) and then how to do freezer meals.  I love the idea of taking one day and making a bunch of meals so that my family can have a nice dinner when I cannot be there.  Love this book especially since it has a variety each week in the menu, you get a chicken dinner, a beef dinner, something Mexican, something Italian, a fish and a soup.  This meal was a perfect size for my family of 4 plus a good leftover portion for my hubby to take to work tomorrow.   Would love to hear what you all do to keep dinner at the table, and keep it healthy.  I am sorry I didn't even think to take a picture, I should have... I will next time I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment